Sunday

I finished and washed this little quilt last night and took a few pictures this morning. I learned SO MUCH making this one.

20140223-085237.jpg

20140223-085245.jpg
I used a very tight weave bleached muslin for the top and a piece of flannel I had laying around for the back. I would use Kona Snow or something like it for the top next time.

I wish I had put more points in the compass and done the star differently. The anchor still seems to “thick” to me. The frames around the name and anchor are 3/4″ wide. I think I would have preferred a half inch frame. I am really happy with the background quilting. I really like it around the anchor. I used white Glide thread and never had a single tension or breakage issue. Love that stuff!

All in all, a very fun experiment. And here is something else for fun:

20140223-090436.jpg
Dear Son sent this shot of Baby L this morning. I so love him!

This entry was posted in Baby Quilts, Finishes, Free Motion Quilting. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Sunday

1. Kathy says:

So, what is the difference between the muslin and the Kona? I admit that I shop for fabric based on color and pattern, having never given any thought to other details.

That baby is so sweet … I could just “eat him up”.

2. redeemedsheep says:

Katy, you do such beautilful work. I admire you.

3. Mim Sweigart says:

Katy, that quilt is astonishingly beautiful, and so is sweet baby Liam!

4. I love that quilt! It turned out beautifully!

5. katyquilts says:

Hi Kathy,

This particular muslin is a very high thread count. The Kona is thicker but lower thread count. I think it would allow the quilting on the front to look more like the quilting on the flannel back which I prefer. I like this bleached muslin for a lot of things but I think the detailed quilting here would look better on a different fabric. And I am counting days til I can cover this little one with kisses! 6 more!

Katy

6. Gari says:

I’m glad you decided to experiment with a quilt rather than a throwaway: it turned out beautifully. You must have great control of your machine to have done such a fine job with the lines. And you learned so much that when you decide to do this again, you will start with so much more confidence. Good job.

7. So precious! I’d be staring at that photo all the time. Such a gorgeous quilt! You should send it to Machine Quilting Unlimited for their Noteworthy column. Thanks for sharing, Katy!

8. Deb L. says:

Baby L. is a real cutie-pie 😉 And you did an AWESOME job on that quilt – CONGRATS!

You know, once you McTavish/Tango quilt – there’s nooooo going back…
    ~Deb