Hexie Tutorial

I had so many questions about my hexagon quilt that I showed Monday, that I decided to do a quick tutorial to answer them.

20140204-221109.jpg
First , here are the dies I used.

20140204-221150.jpg
I know, they look like they don’t go together, but they do. The hexagons have 2 1/2″ FINISHED sides. The triangles do too but the measurement listed here is UNFINISHED. Why did Accuquilt do this? I have no earthly idea. Trust me, they work. (ETA: I knew they were compatible because Accuquilt will list compatible dies in the product info.)

Start by cutting a bazillion hexies and two bazillion triangles. Seriously, you need two triangles for every hexie.

20140204-221328.jpg
The dies cut the points off the triangles  so they line up nicely with the hexagons when you are ready to sew.

20140204-221423.jpg

See? They really do fit!

20140204-221432.jpg

Sew one triangle to two opposite sides of each hexie.

20140204-221520.jpg

20140204-221528.jpg
Press seams toward the triangles.

20140204-221557.jpg
Arrange your pieces into rows.

20140204-221632.jpg

20140204-221724.jpg
Take care when placing them right sides together. It will look weird, but those nipped corners will help you line things up.

20140204-221815.jpg
I don’t use pins. And my points are close enough for me.

20140204-221910.jpg
I actually wait to press the seams in my rows until I have them all pieced. That way I can press rows in opposite directions so my seams nest.

20140204-222030.jpg
When your rows are long enough, cut strips as wide as your hexies and cut at a 60 degree angle with a rotary cutter and ruler.

20140204-222136.jpg
This is how you straighten out your rows. There are two different ways you can piece your rows together. I did mine like this and got white 6 pointed stars.

20140204-222310.jpg
You can also line up your hexies and get white diamonds like this:

20140204-222355.jpg
I hope you found this helpful. Hexies are great fun and not at all hard to machine piece with the added triangles. The key is accuracy in cutting.

I am linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday.

This entry was posted in Accuquilt Studio Cutter, Fresh Modern Quilts, Hexagons, Modern Quilts, Tutorials, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Hexie Tutorial

1. Zenia Rene says:

Very helpful and informative and now a hexie quilt has been added to my “to make” list.=)

2. Angela says:

What if you dont have an die cutter? What pattern coild you use?

3. Elsie Clark says:

Thanks for the tutorial. I just finished an all hex i.e. Quilt by hand. Lots of hours but turned out pretty. Have so many hexies left I wanted to do another and want to try your version by machine.

4. I really like your Hexie quilt with the little triangles – have not really been attracted to hexie quilts but I really do like your design. I see that your tip in your last sentence is that the cutting needs to be accurate – I have, until now, always ignored ads etc. on accuquilt and sissix machines thinking that I don’t need one, but now I am not so sure – and cutting is soooooooooooooooo tedious – so I am now going to start looking into getting an accuquilt device. Do you know the merits of accuquilt over sissix machines?

I must say that you made an amazing number of quilts last year and I love them all.
    Good Luck for this year.
    Pauline
    perry94022 at hotmail dot com

5. Pingback: 2014 Wrap Up | KatyQuilts

6. Sandhya says:

Wonderful way to join the Hexies. Thank you for making and sharing this tutorial.

7. Bess says:

Really cool tutorial – I am very slowly (but happily) epp a Hexie quilt, but maybe I’ll try a machine pieced one too some day!

8. Mary says:

Thanks for sharing! I just bought my DIL a diecut machine. I may have to buy her those dies so that I can use it!!

9. katie says:

great idea with the diamonds — I have seen quite a few with the 6 points but I really like the diamonds as a change up.

10. You have “almost” convinced me to work with hexagons!

11. jayne Willis says:

Thanks for the tutorial! I love how the hexies go together!

12. I was hoping you would do a tutorial!!! Thanks!

13. I’ve not seen hexi’s done this way. Thanks for the detailed tutorial. 🙂

14. Great tutorial. what a fun quilt.

15. Sara says:

very cool! i wish that sizzix had dies that work together like that.

16. Mary Huey says:

Very easy to understand tutorial — thanks! I do lots of hexie stuff these days, but don’t have an Accuquilt so use an assortment of templates from Marti Michell and my rotary cutter with good results.

17. Alberta Sue Bennett says:

I have only used this pattern for I Spy quilts but love just the mix of all your fabrics.

18. Teri says:

Thanks for the information. I have to see which dies I have. I was thinking of using the hex n’more ruler. I am a DS collector! Perhaps I should become a DS user.

19. Wonderful tutorial! And beautiful quilt! I prefer the setting that you used – love the stars you get. So, how did you know that those triangles would fit the hexies, given the wacky dimensions given by Accuquilt on that die? 😉