Quilts of Valor

If you have read my blog for any length if time, you know that I am a big supporter of our troops and that One way I like to show my support is by making quilts for Quilts of Valor. I try to complete one each month. Here is my inspiration:

20131008-081539.jpg
This is my daughter, fresh out if tech school. She now has one deployment under her belt and more stripes on her shoulder but I still love this picture!

Anyway, here is my latest QOV finish.

20131008-081750.jpg

20131008-081800.jpg

20131008-081814.jpg

20131008-081824.jpg
Can you see the eagle quilted in the center? I had this wonderful panto from Meadowlyon Designs:

20131008-081938.jpg

20131008-081949.jpg
I wanted to use it but if I centered one eagle, I would get half eagles at the edges. Not cool. It just didn’t feel right though I loved it. Finally I decided to only quilt one eagle in the center surrounded by a fairly tight meander to make it stand out. Let me tell you, all that meandering was boring! I also quilted a feather in the border. It was worth it. I am pleased with the final result. The eagle isn’t immediately obvious and the meander gives a nice texture. I used a solid on the back called Parchment.
If you are a careful reader of my blog, you will know that this is my September quilt. I got behind! So time to come up with one for October. I participated in a QOV block swap last spring and these are the blocks I received then.

20131008-082544.jpg
I am thinking of putting them together with a navy sashing. I would love to get this top pieced before DH comes home on Friday. I did spent a chunk of the day yesterday cleaning carpets and mowing lawn so I have done something besides sew while he is gone!

I am linking up with Connie at Free Motion by the River and Fesh-Squeezed Fabric’s Show and Tell Tuesday and Sew Much Ado.
IMG_6373

This entry was posted in Finishes, Free Motion Quilting, HQ Avante, Quilt of Valor. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Quilts of Valor

1. stipplequilt says:

Beautiful quilt and congrats on your September finish! Your daughter is a beauty also! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

2. Betty Lou says:

Beautiful, love the eagle in the center. What vitamins do you take, I need to get some, you accomplish more than anyone I know. Lol

3. Your quilting is perfect for this quilt! Nicely done!

4. Lois says:

Your daughter is LOVELY! May God bless her and keep her safe. I love that you centered the lone eagle on the quilt. It’s subtle yet perfect. Can’t wait to see what you do with the random quilt blocks.

5. You did a great job of quilting that one! I like the eagle, even if he is not readily visible, he’s still there, just like the Spirit of America. Your daughter is beautiful! Lots to be proud of and thankful for.

6. I love this quilt, especially the eagle design! It’s really neat that you are able to support the troops that way. You inspire me 🙂

7. your quilt is lovely, and the eagle design makes it so special!

🙂 Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

8. Alberta Sue Bennett says:

Your quilt is beautiful. Great border fabric, the quilting is awesome..

9. Beautiful quilt – Beautiful Inspiration!!!

10. Beautiful projects! And of course a great cause!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

11. Michal says:

Love it. Love the fabrics, the quilting and the backing.

12. Karen Rowley says:

Love your quilts. I have been trying to buy a “Quilt of valor” for my husband. He was an F-4 pilot during Vietnam and served 23 years in the Air Force. His father was in the Navy for 26 years so my husband was military since birth😃 I would love to show how how proud I am of his love of country and our family. Can you help me?