I LOVE LOVE LOVE to dye fabric :). I became obsessed with it last summer and I think I love dyeing about as much as sewing! It finally got warm enough here in Michigan for my first dyeing session of the summer. I tried some new (to me anyway) techniques and for the most part, loved the results!
“For the most part”…….hmmm…..you know what is coming! But that goes with the Giveaway challenge so I will leave you in suspense for just bit and come back to that.
First, look at this luscious stack of mottled colors that read as solids from a distance:
I also love to dye multicolored pieces though I rarely use them in my own work! I love the element of surprise I guess. So I have decided to see if any of my readers would be interested in them. Here goes!
1. Yellow/Blue/Green 20″ x 30″ , Kona PFD $16
2. 16″ x 21″ Kona 200 Muslin Turq/Blue/Moss Green $8
3. 22″ x 24″ $12
4. 24″ x 22″ Multi – this picture is pretty darn close to the actual colors. It is on the dull side. $10
5. 19″ x 21″ This piece I love. It is very much multi colored but I love the way it is muted. It would make an awesome background piece for sure.$8
6. 22″ x 23″ If you think this looks a bit like #4, you would be right! This was the second piece in a layered technique. They end up looking slightly different even from one side of the fabric to another! Pretty cool, I think. $10
7. 21″ x 34″ $12
8. 22″ x 23″ This was layered with piece #3 above. The bubbles create a lot of texture. Reminds me of the pics from the Hubble space telescope :). $12
9. 32″ x 44″ Brown This piece is not quite a full yard. The colors in the detail shot are the most accurate for this piece. Browns seem to be hard to photograph! $18
10. 20″ x 34″ Green/Blue $12
I have listed them by numbers (the number for each is given first and the fabric it refers to is below) so you can e-mail me here and refer to them by number to see if they are still available. Prices do not include shipping. Since I have no way of knowing how these pieces look on your monitor, I have decided that any piece may be returned for a refund within 7 days. I will refund the total price you paid to me, including shipping though you will be out the cost of shipping the piece back to me. Fair enough?
Also my one disclaimer, I rinse and wash in VERY hot water until everything is colorfast with the detergent/water/machine that I use here at home. However, I cannot guarrantee wash fastness as your soaps/water/etc may vary. I use Procion fiber reactive dyes from Dharma Trading Company and either KauffmanKona 200 count bleached muslin or Kona PFD (78 count) 100% cotton fabrics. In this lot, all are the Kona muslin except for pieces # 1 and #10.
Now for the GIVEAWAY CHALLENGE!
Here are three dog pieces. Three “what was I thinking?” pieces. Three won’t you PLEASE use me pieces! I overdyed two and still think they are ugly. But you may see something in them…..somewhere…….maybe? I will give one piece each to three lucky (unlucky?) people with the challenge that you send me a photo via e-mail by September 1st with the results. I might even throw in a scrap of something a bit nicer :). You can stamp it. shred it, paint it, dye it, quilt it, make a coin purse out of it, just send me a picture when you are done so I can post it to my blog. These all three measure approx. 16″ x 22″ and are crying out to be made beautiful by someone!
Okay, just to make this a bit more fun, to get one, leave me a comment sharing one thing you do to foster creativity in your life. I will pick three from the comments to receive one of these doggy….er….lovely bits of hand dyed fabric for the challenge. Then we will wait to see what you can do with them!