Finish It Up Friday ~ T-Shirt Quilt

I finished the quilt for my great nephew. I am pleased with how it turned out. I hope my niece is too!

These quilts are a lot of work. They just are. They look simple and straightforward, but this represents almost 20 hours of work, not including shopping for supplies. My niece brought me 30 shirts and I did my best to use every printed part from both the fronts and the backs.

Many of these were regular t-shirts. Some were dri-fit shirts. I quilted with a large meander over the whole thing. I went right over the logos, but I went slowly, used a size 18 needle, and a big of Sewer’s Aid on the thread cone.

And then there was this jersey! I had to think for a while how to work this in.

Here you can see the backing fabric that I chose. I used the same fabric for the binding.

This turned out a whopping 85 inches square! I used a poly batting, but it is still plenty heavy.

Graduation is a few months away yet, but I’m glad I have this done!

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict , Busy Hands Quilts , Crazy Mom Quilts , Celtic Thistle Stitches

This entry was posted in Bed Quilts, Finishes, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ T-Shirt Quilt

1. Elizabeth Stevens says:

Wow! T-shirt quilts are a lot of work! Including a dri-fit shirt and a jersey makes it even more complicated. You did a fantastic job with the placement and I love the dark grey background fabric with the shirts.

2. abydolinger says:

Great lay out for an awesome quilt finish! Your nephew is sure to appreciate it.

3. Ann Wight says:

Looks Great and I LOVE the backing you chose.

4. Kate Henchey says:

Beautiful!

Looks great! Hugs,

6. Kathy D. says:

What a great quilt! I’m sure it will be a big hit. Working on a t-shirt quilt myself, and can’t believe how heavy it’s going to be! Will ask longarmer about using poly batting.

7. I’ve made a t-shirt quilt. One. I agree with you that it is a long process, and yes, they are heavy! My daughter wants me to make one for her. I’ll admit I’m dragging my feet a bit. You did a great job on this quilt, Katy! The colors are just great. I’m sure it will be enjoyed!

8. Jayne says:

I have never had the desire to make a t-shirt quilt…they scare me a little bit! However, I love yours! You put together the impossible using some unconventional fabrics! It looks amazing and he’s going to love it!

9. Danette says:

Tshirt quilts are a lot of work! I’ve completed 1 so far and I am not looking forward to another one. Congratulations on the finish!

10. Tami Von Zalez says:

While I am not a fan of t-shirt quilts, yours is one of the nicest I’ve seen. I think your choice of a gray background and large stipple are the bomb!

11. Fabulous finish, thanks for linking it up to TGIFF!

12. KatieQ says:

The quilt looks great. I love how you managed to use the buttoned tee shirt. What kind of stabilizer did you use?

I’m not a big fan of tee-shirt quilts either but this one is outstanding!! The background, the backing, the binding and the quilting are all PERFECT! He’ll cherish this forever.

14. Margie says:

Wow! Very nice. And…even done early. Great job! Margie/NY

15. Sue B says:

That turned out great. I keep thinking of trying one and then I read posts about them & still haven’t tried.

16. Looks great Katy! I admire how quickly you got that done. I don’t think I would enjoy making one of those.

17. Jenny Benton says:

The tee shirt quilt looks wonderful. I have made a couple myself, and know they are a lot of work to get all those different size blocks in place. But the end result is always so very personal and full of meaning.

18. Quest Quilts says:

T-shirt quilts are my bread-and-butter as far as commissions go. Yours is just lovely and well done! The meandering pattern is perfect, and the gray neutral for the sashing a solid choice! Well done, you!

19. Lynette Caulkins says:

That is one terrific T-shirt quilt. You got a very nice distribution effect, and it looks remarkably smooth and neat for the medium. Nice job!!!

20. Jannette B. says:

That’s an incredible quilt, and is sure to be a wonderful keepsake!

21. That is just wonderful. My favorite part is the jersey. I love doing a little something different in a quilt.

22. It’s beautiful. Well done. He’s sure to love it.