Visiting the UP

If you aren’t from Michigan, you may not know that the Upper Peninsula is known as the U.P. When I went home to Wisconsin to see my mom, we took a day and drove through some of the UP to revisit some of my favorite places. First up was Bond Falls.

The leaves were already changing color!

Of course I had to find a trail for Oscar!

After that we heads up to Lake Superior. The waves were huge! I loved it!

Our last stop was Lake of the Clouds. True to its name, you couldn’t see the lake due to cloud cover. It was still gorgeous.

I snapped this last one on the way home. Love the reflection!

20 Responses to Visiting the UP

1. Kathy D says:

Wonderful photos – thanks for sharing! My husband sets up a tent deer camp in the UP in November, not far from Lake Superior. Me? I stay home and quilt!

2. Deb says:

Wow!!! Beautiful!!!!!

3. So pretty! They’re both going on our must-see list!!!

4. Val W says:

Terrific pics. It looks like you two had a wonderful time together.

5. Haven’t been to U.P. yet, but it’s on our list! Thanks for sharing!

Beautiful pictures! The picture of you and your mom is wonderful! Hugs,

7. Cocoa Quilts says:

Love the UP. Beautiful scenery and great food. Love me a pastie!!

8. Loris Mills says:

I would love to see that someday. How beautiful!

9. Rochelle Summers says:

I’m so happy to see a photo of you with your mother. When my friend passed last year, her daughter put together a slide show of her life. She said she could only find two photos with herself and her mother together. The rest, her mother was behind the camera!

Fantastic photos, Katie! Before I read the small print (email version), I thought your mom might be your sister! I’m so glad you had a wonderful visit with her.

11. Nann says:

We’ve done four Road Scholar trips to Lake Superior (Isle Royale, Grand Marais, Superior, and Bayfield) as well as one in Cedarville on the Lake Huron side of the UP. Last year we went to the Porkies and Lake in the Clouds for the first time (spent a weekend in Ontanogan). Love it . . . but not in the winter!

12. kay carlson says:

It was so nice to see the beautiful pictures you have taken of spots in the Upper Peninsula. Lake Superior has always had that majestic pull of serenity for me. When we travel to Marquette, MI my favorite activity is going to the Upper Harbor at Presque Isle to view the loading of ore carriers. The “footers” being loaded or going through the Poe Lock at The Soo provide quite the site to witness. Thanks for sharing!!!

13. Margaret says:

Your photos are lovely! It makes me want to go “Up North” next autumn!

14. Andrea H says:

Those are absolutely breathtaking views and pictures. Thanks for the virtual getaway.

15. PattiP says:

Gorgeous! I haven’t been up there in decades. Going on my list as well! Wow no mistaken your resemblance to your non!

16. PattiP says:

Oops that should have read “resemblance to your mom”

17. I grew up in southwestern lower Michigan but the UP was a favorite family vacation destination. LOVE the waterfalls and the long vistas across Superior. Beautiful photos – thanks for sharing them!

18. What a beautiful trip. Your photos are so refreshing!

19. dezertsuz says:

Beautiful, thanks for sharing. I see fall is getting started up that way.

20. Edwina Finet says:

As a long ago MIchigander, I loved these pictures. The UP is indeed unique and spectacular. It does not get enough attention, so I’m glad to see the beautiful pictures. Thanks for the refresher and reminder of how beautiful the world can be.